Your home’s gutters and downspouts are an integral part of your roof, and your gutters can be compromised by the cumulative effect of freezing temperatures, snow, ice and gusting winds during the winter months. Compromised gutters can accelerate the decline of the roof, the foundation, landscaping, and siding as well as promote mold. The sheer weight of snowfall alone subjects the gutters to tremendous stress which over time will affect their structural integrity. And if your region was spared a snowfall, it can be costly to assume an inspection is not warranted because ice can also be very damaging.
Inspection of the condition of your gutters helps assure they are performing in optimal condition, properly channeling water away from your foundation, driveway, patio, and walkways. In this article we will examine what you as a homeowner can do to help you gain confidence your gutters are ready for Spring.
Inspecting Gutters and Downspouts
A visual inspection can help you detect if your gutters show any defects which require immediate attention.
- Look for any visible separation from the roof edge where the gutter is attached to the house. In addition, inspect the gutter for any separation.
- Check the area where the downspout is attached to the gutter as well as any downspout seams.
- One of the most prudent inspections you can do is to grab a raincoat and have a look at the gutter and downspout system while it is raining. Don’t go out if there is lightning!. Not only is this a real time exercise, it will also show you if the gutters require cleaning as poor drainage will result in visible overflow.
- If your gutters and downspouts are two or more stories off the ground, it may benefit you to use a pair of binoculars to get a close up, focused look at them.
- Any impeded drainage from the end of the downspout where it empties into a drain pipe or is redirected away from the structure can also be determined during a rainstorm.
AnyWeather Roofing Offers Roof & Gutter Inspections
Having a reliable roof is important for a home however dependable rain gutters and downspouts are an integral part of the home as well. AnyWeather Roofing sells and installs seamless gutters and downspouts. New gutters and downspouts come in several colors. For a free estimate on new gutters installed contact AnyWeather Roofing today!